Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > General Conversation
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-10-2003   #1
=D//R=SkyHawk
Lieutenant

Socom II Ranking

After playing all day and getting more then 5 MVPs my score dropped from 930 points to 823 I mean what the hell is happening. Anyone knows how the ranking system works on SOCOM II?

www.socom-dr.tk
Clan DESERT RANGERS

"Success is going from failure to failure
with no loss of enthusiasm."

Last edited by =D//R=SkyHawk : 11-10-2003 at 06:30 PM.
=D//R=SkyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003   #2
[SS]SportoFu
Canadian Chuck Norris

I'm not sure, but I didn't play very well tonight. I played 3 maps and moved UP 4-5000 ranks......???

[SS]SportoFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003   #3
[SS]Rator
Sea SnipersŪ Owner/Leader

does it matter?

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
they will be things you will miss!
[SS]Rator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003   #4
[SS]SportoFu
Canadian Chuck Norris

Not at all.
I'm just curious how/why it is, if it is really the way it is, and if it's going to be the way it is right now, later. You know? lol.

[SS]SportoFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003   #5
[SS]Deadeye-R
100% Canadian Beef

I checked my rank before I played with you guys tonight. Remember that game that I got 13-3 on with 64 points, that made my rank drop 2000, and drop meaning not good. Its messed.

[SS]Deadeye-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003   #6
[SS]CJ

This applies to almost everyone. Go find your own name and check 5, 10, and 20 ranks above and below you. If it's anything like my S2 rank/ladder position, then there won't be a heck of a lot of difference in total points. Lets say there is 15k ppl playing at the same time as you. The odds are that over half of the ppl right next to you are gaming at the same time.
My guess is that for the first couple of months it will continue like this. When the newness finally wears off and only the dedicated (err...addicted players like myself) remain, each individuals rank will seem to stabalize.
This is only my guess. I could be totally wrong and it wouldn't surprize me if I was.

[SS]CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003   #7
[SS]ProXimo
Proximo Studios

I don't pay attention to the ranking system used by S2. I only care about the ranking system within [SS]. So my rank can be at the lowest or highest level, it does not matter to me.

Just my opinion.

The point system is better way of determining the MVP now, but it's also bad that in Breach missions the SEALS get points for blowing up gates and such. I have played with people that want to destroy all the gates before going in for the goal. That's stupid and it's the only thing I don't like about it.

Just my opinion.

[SS]ProXimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003   #8
[SS]Rator

yeah its true, people will go for points like that. some wont even take a shot if they have it cause they cant get the headshot. its weak. worry about your clans position in the 3rd party ladders if anything.

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
Old 11-10-2003   #9
Weeper

I don't really care ... just wanna play.

I am glad to see the rankings of my Teammates and applaud their efforts.

I believe in TEAM 1st ... Individualism 2nd ... this is why I joined [SS]

I would rather have the worse ranking on the team because I am defending our base and not rushing out getting all the kills, yet get us the WIN (if possible) so that the TEAM WINS.

I am also glad to be part of a TEAM that has great players, strategy, comraderie ... its AWESOME!!!

So go get you kills ... I've got your back!!! ;)
Weeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003   #10
[SS]Rator

atta boy weep!

Old 11-10-2003   #11
[SS]Dr.Who

Gentlemen, you must also remeber that points and rankings in S2 is based on opponents as well. If you beat or defeat a better ranked person you get more points, if you are beaten by a lesser ranked person you will LOSE more points.

This way is okay if you are highly skilled and always playing "better ranked" peeps. I have been trying to get some consistency to my points by playing in specific rooms. Ie Ensigns ONLY, Lt. ONLY commander ONLY, captain ONLY and so forth. That way there wins and loses are more stabilized because all participants are of equal rank if not of equal skill.

Also points are awarded for "surviving" as well. I am not the greatest shot, (will take a body shot anyday over waiting for headshot) and sometimes in holding down an assigned area I do not see much action but do get points for surviving rounds.

You also get points for Primary and secondary actions. that is why these assholes are running around blowing and never fully breaching.

Honestly I do look at SOCOM rankings because we PLAY BY THEM IN THE SOCOM WORLD, SOCOM IS BASED ON THEIR RANKING SYSTEM. If I play well I get rewarded points and eventually work my way up ladder. For ladder matches rank will come into play.

But in [SS] SOCOM rank makes no difference. My primary concern is my playing. As long as my gameplay benefits and goes well with my [SS] brethren, I follow game strategies and direction....... then that is ULTIMATELY what matters MOST.
Old 11-10-2003   #12
[SS]Rator

Doc wrote "Honestly I do look at SOCOM rankings because we PLAY BY THEM IN THE SOCOM WORLD, SOCOM IS BASED ON THEIR RANKING SYSTEM. If I play well I get rewarded points and eventually work my way up ladder. For ladder matches rank will come into play."

Rank will never come into play in any match you play with the SS. The SOCOM ranking system is one of the things that causes the lag we all experience from time to time. Why? The damn stats are updated all the friggin time, non-stop. it takes a lot of server horsepower to calculate EVERYONES stats in EVERY game EVERY nite ALL the time.

The ranking system only encourages people to find ways to get to the top without working for it. Dont' bother with it. I know everyone can see your stats, and your rank etc. but who cares? Cuervo is higher ranked than me, i dont care. Shit, i think Vins wife is ranked higher than me. It makes no difference.

I understand the attraction of the ranking system, but use the force SS!

Old 11-10-2003   #13
[SS]ProXimo
Proximo Studios

Ditto on that Rator.

I don't care about the ranking system and never look at the rank for any reason. I just want to play and make [SS] a great clan that can hold their own with anyone.

This takes team work and working towards the team goal. The victory is for [SS] to win. Not the individual.

Good thing we have some great guys in the clan that play like a team. This is what makes the difference.

Just my opinion.

[SS]ProXimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003   #14
[SS]Rator

was his tag registered? or was it in his actual name? fuckin wannabes

Old 11-10-2003   #15
[SS]Deadeye-R
100% Canadian Beef

A few comments:

1. I agree that the ranking system is crap. At first it appeared to work ok, I was killing and breaching and such and my rank was getting better. But, as I have gotten better at the game my rank has dropped dramatically.

2. One misconception is that the "score" is total points. This is not true. Score" is a rating of your play. Check out Yahoo games if you want to see how rating systems work. The difference between S2's rating system and Yahoo's rating system is that Yahoo's works.

3. I played today with a bunch of kids that did not even care if we won the game. All they cared about was beating their record of 90 points in a match. They constantly breached and breached and breached etc. They got their 90 points and we lost.

[SS]Deadeye-R is offline   Reply With Quote