Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > General Conversation
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-19-2004   #1
Chaoshumor
Ensign

Newbie Help

Hello Everyone:

I was wondering if all you veterans could give a newbie some help. I'm still really new to SOCOM II but I'm already addicted! The only problem is I'm not very good yet and they ranking system has me in with guys that are taking me out within the first minute like I'm a sitting duck! I love to play on-line but I would actually like to do some damage and actually contribute to the team rather than just be a target. What I was hoping all you seasoned veterans could do is give me some basic pointers, like strategies that I should employee, tactics that will help ramp up the learning curve, maps that I should stick to, weapons that are newbie friendly, etc. I was also wondering which the easier control layout for a newbie, SureShot or PrecisionShooter? The common senario that I get killed in is I've got and enemy running right towards me and they just turn me into swiss cheese before I can really get a decent shot off on them. I'm using the control lay out that I use the R3 for aiming and strafe with the L3, is this going to take me longer to get a shot or do I need lots of practice? Any pointer would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

Chaoshumor.
Chaoshumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #2
[SS]Rator
Sea SnipersŪ Owner/Leader

well, yes you need lots of practice. I would recommend you try to spectate as many games as possible. then you can see what others are doing and you can practice imitating them.

Dont run out and start shooting, hide a little, wait for them to come to you, etc. You can use any controller set you you feel comfortable with but keep the following in mind. You will need to be able to jump, lean, shoot, and switch from quick one and quick two weapons on the fly. Some controller setups do NOT let you do these things at the same time or at all.

Good luck, and dont get discouraged. When you first go online, you WILL die. Alot. and then again. I almost quit after the first week.

Keep at it, the skills and kills will come.

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
they will be things you will miss!
[SS]Rator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #3
Weeper

Try the Precision Shooter settings. It seems to work best all around for Online Play.

Then do as Rator said. Try to spectate some or when you are online after you die watch the other guys, specially the good ones and see what they do. Then ask them for help, hints, tips, etc. Perhaps even follow them and stick with them during the round.

Good Luck!!!
Weeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #4
Chaoshumor
Ensign

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate the input.

What about weapons? Which are your favorites? Also, this is a dumb question, but when would I switch to my pistol versus my rifle? I just figured with the rifle I can easily squeeze off more shots and faster, both are equally deadly at super close range. Are there certain circumstances in which it would be better for me to use my secondary than my primary?

Thanks again everyone for all your input.
Old 02-19-2004   #5
Weeper

Stick to the M60 or M14 when starting out. They are both fairly powerful (takes less shots to kill if aimed correctly) and fairly accurate. With the M60 (100 round clip) you don't have to worry about running out of bullets during a firefight too much either or reloading.

You need how to set your grenades as your secondary weapon. You don't need your pistol if you have a Machine Gun, unless you were to run out of ammo for some odd reason. Just always take 2x Ammon.

You would want to keep your pistol as your secondary weapon if you were Sniping (for close combat). The SP-10 is the best out there but its only for Seals. Most people use either the DE-50 or M18 as Terrorists. One has more power (DE50) other allows rapid fire (M18).
Old 02-19-2004   #6
Chaoshumor
Ensign

Which maps would you say are pretty newbie friendly? I keep hearing something about a respawning room, what's that and where can I find those?
Old 02-19-2004   #7
[SS]Dr.Who

I use sure-shot setting. It doesnt work for everyone, but I am used to it and thats what I like. I suggest the m-14 or M6Xxx models as my brothers have suggested. As a Terrosist (depending on the map of course) the Auto shotty is a good deal. ALWAYS GET 2X AMMO................... You are new and will eat up ALOT OF AMMO making newby noise. LOL

I think Frostfire, Bitter Jungle, Crossroads, Fish hook are pretty good for learning. You get smaller rooms and lots of places to duck and hide (I preffer to call it AMBUSHING instead of hiding) for protection when being chased.
I suggest learning how to use grenades and PMN's ONLY after becoming proficient with the rifles.

Suggested handguns.... F-57 or SP-10 depending on which team you are on. Both will fire as fast as you squeeze the trigger (M-18 has automatic setting and wastes alot of bullets and has tremendous movement or recoil while shooting multiple rounds).

Good Luck and enjoy the game................. die until you become good!
Old 02-19-2004   #8
[SS]Rator
Sea SnipersŪ Owner/Leader

Please dont listen to Doc. He cant throw grenades cause his controller setting wont allow him to have quick 1 and 2 buttons. LOL!

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
they will be things you will miss!
[SS]Rator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #9
Weeper

How to assign the L1 or L2 button to select a specific weapon in online or single player mode:

Press the R2 button to open your inventory. Scroll to the weapon you want to assign to a hot key and then press L1 or L2 depending on which key you want the weapon assigned to. Press R2 to close your inventory and try pressing your new weapon hotkey.

For example; here's step by step direction to assign the M67 Grenades to the L2 button:

1. Press the R2 button to open your inventory.
2. Scroll through the inventory until M67 is highlighted.
3. Press the L2 button to assign grenade to that button. The phrase "L2 Button" should appear below the grenades in your inventory.
4. Press the R2 button to close your inventory. Now you can switch between grenades and you main weapon by pressing the L2 and L1 buttons.
Old 02-19-2004   #10
Chaoshumor
Ensign

Super Sweet Weeper!!!

It's M-60's and grenades galore for me tonight!!!

I'm going to try those maps that Who suggested (thanks), and see if I can do some damage. :D

So which maps are the respawning ones? And, uh... what exactly does that mean.

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-19-2004   #11
[SS]CJ

Respawn rooms will get you the most practice, but they lack a lot of the strategy used in regular games. My controller settings are 7/6/5. 5 being deadzone. Also, try this drill: go into the single player game, choose a map with lots of trees. Find a nice tree, run around in circle, trying to keep your crosshairs on the tree. This gets you used to your own controller settings and helps with aim.

[SS]CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #12
Chaoshumor
Ensign

CJ - Controller settings? How do I do that? Damn, should have read the instruction book all the way through.
Old 02-19-2004   #13
[SS]ProXimo
Proximo Studios

The one major error all newbs do is run out shooting when you spot someone. Chances are that if you spot someone and your in a good spot, they did not spot you. Wait, Be patient. Watch what they do and if they run around the corner with their backs to you, follow behind them and don't shoot until you get really close. This will give you better chances at kills than shooting from 100 yards away because you saw someone run across. When you do this, you don't have that good of a chance to kill them and you give your position away.

[SS]ProXimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #14
~~HF~~ Roket
Lieutenant Commander

Another important tip, even with the M60, is Remember to reload frequently. I've seen (and done in my noob days) many people forget to relaod and then fun into trouble by running out of ammo at a critical moment. Even some of the best players make this mistake sometimes.

During my noob days I stuck to the M60's and actually learned to counter for the recoil enough that I could get long distance kills with it. Just remember to aim low as it kicks pretty hard or you may find yourself shooting over everyones head.

I use sure shot also, as it just suits me. It's annoying not being able to quick change but we have a few guys in our clan, one in particular, who are deadly with grenades. I try to offer cover while they send in a barrage of grenades.

If you try sniping, and it is a skill many can't master, including myself. Don't stay in the same place to long. It wont take the enemy too long to work our where you are shooting from. Change to your pistol and move on, find a new spot and then go back to sniping.

If you manage to plant a bomb, it's a good idea to drop some smokies around it. That extra few seconds it takes for your opponents to find the bomb, may be enough to ruin there chances of defusing it.

Most players find a weapon they like and stick to it. You can't expect to master any weapon if you use a different one everytime. Also, there is a reason that most people use the M4A1 and AKS 74 (down here they do anyway), it's because they are the best all round assault rifles.

Never follow the same path twice in a row. It amazes me how many players follow the same path everytime, it doesn't take long to learn there routine and you can just sit in one spot and pick them off.

The most important tip is "Don't give up" when you are a noob you will spend alot of time dead. And even later on, you will have bad days. Stick it out, be patient, learn from your mistakes. And of course, Happy Fragging!

~~HF~~ Roket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #15
Weeper

Quote:
Originally posted by ~~HF~~ Roket
there is a reason that most people use the M4A1 and AKS 74 (down here they do anyway), it's because they are the best all round assault rifles.
ROKET when you all do get S2 down under, you will find that the weapons have changed. I rarely see anyone use the AKS 74 anymore. The preferred choice of weapons seem to be IW80, M14, M60s, Auto Shotty.