Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > Movie/TV Reviews
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-12-2011   #1
[SS]Midnight
Lima Oscar Lima!

Netflix price hike.

The greedy scoundrel are separating DVD and Streaming services so they can charge more.

So my $10/mo plan for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs (1 at a time) will change to 1 streaming plan for $8 and a separate $8 plan for the 1 at a time unlimited DVDs for a total of $16/mo. A $6 increase charge for what I am getting now. What kind of backwards business is this? They are supposed to, in this time financial strain, find ways to make things cheaper not more expensive!

From my email:
Quote:
We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.
I marked my calendar to cancel one or the other service. I may reconsider Hulu again.

I used to be able to get BluRay for free, then they decided to charge an extra $1 for that. I did not go for it any more than I will go for this price hike. They just do not have a good enough movie selection for me to shell out more.

"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood! NOBODY!" -- White Goodman
[SS]Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011   #2
[SS]Rator
Sea Snipers® Owner/Leader

Stupid. I'll be cancelling my dvd script. Stupid for them to do since most people will probly follow suit and cancel dvds. They'll make less money too since they used to get 10, and now just 8. I'll get my new movies off of FIOS if i really need to see them.

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
they will be things you will miss!
[SS]Rator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011   #3
[SS]Showstoper
XO of Recruit Instruction

Yeah, that's kinda wack. Rip-off...But someone who really likes me, hooks me up.

I WILL LEAD BY EXAMPLE, NEVER REQUIRING A RECRUIT TO ATTEMPT ANY TASK I WOULD NOT DO MYSELF.
[SS]Showstoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011   #4
[SS]Wally
‘The Umbrella Man’

cancelling DVD as we speak.

"Guns don't kill people, lasers do." - Wally
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders". - Ted Nugent
Born On Date: 1-30-2007
[SS]Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #5
Tagger

If Netflix had a better streaming selection, I would probably renew just that part of the service. They don't have enough content yet to keep me coming back.

Galatians 2:20
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #6
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

I've 'only' been streaming since it was hard to get DVD's while living in Italy. What I have noticed for example....

Dexter -- It was on Netflix as streaming for seasons 1 - 3. For whatever reason I went back to see if they've posted up Season 4 yet since what Season 6 is on TV...and they took down ALL season's of the show.

I'm not sure why? So far streaming haas been great. Granted, I don't get the 'new' content...but it fills in the gaps when there is nothing on the Tube.

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"
[SS]Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #7
[SS]Midnight
Lima Oscar Lima!

Dexter is an awesome show. Season 6 just starting filming in Ca. and will probably come to TV in the Fall I think. My wife and I got real addicted to it.

Anyway we use Netflix instead of TV. It is like 1/8th-1/10th the price for equivalent content in a TV package. So this debacle is a big blow to our entertainment options.

OXM had some rather good advice for Netflix to compensate a bit for this radical price change: http://t.co/N39gkHm

Old 07-15-2011   #8
AEJustin1

I only stream anyways, there is a ton of stuff on streaming now tagger. I know they just got Star Trek on stream, TOS, TNG, Voyager and Enterprise.

If you don't stand behind our troops. Please feel free to stand in front of them...
PROUD to be an AMERICAN!
AEJustin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #9
[SS]Midnight
Lima Oscar Lima!

I am currently running through Voyager. That was the one I liked the most.

Old 07-15-2011   #10
[SS]Switters
sweets to the sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Showstoper View Post
Yeah, that's kinda wack. Rip-off...But someone who really likes me, hooks me up.
i got'chu boo! no worries, im not worried about the price change though one of the things happening, or it has happened recently is sony is pulling all of its films from the netflix library. if that has happened or is going to happen, that would suck, limit netflix's library even more.

edit-here's a link to an article on yahoo news about the price increase, the article reads like they are trying to force dvd customers to make the switch to the streaming service...

http://news.yahoo.com/behind-increas...094058403.html

Last edited by [SS]Switters : 07-15-2011 at 09:14 PM.
[SS]Switters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #11
[SS]Midnight
Lima Oscar Lima!

Well I tell you what. I believe in this statement from that article:
Quote:
"Netflix's future is not in the DVDs," he said. "Netflix's future is in the business of premium pay television delivered over the Internet."
And if they do in fact capitalize on that then it will all be worth it. With this move they made (price increase on the DVD plans) and everyone (most anyway) cancelling that service they have severely lowered their movie selection. They need to improve the streaming service selection or they will begin to rapidly grind down their business.

Old 07-18-2011   #12
[SS]Sabotage
Eyes In The Skies

lol I don't pay either one of those and will still get both. They may be greedy, but they also do some pretty cool stuff.

Also note for thought, I'm pretty sure they lose a lot of money because of the licensing fees they have been paying to get movies and shows on their stream list faster to compete with red box, blockbuster, and hulu. This may be where the separation comes from.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
[SS]Sabotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #13
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Midnight View Post
Well I tell you what. I believe in this statement from that article:

And if they do in fact capitalize on that then it will all be worth it. With this move they made (price increase on the DVD plans) and everyone (most anyway) cancelling that service they have severely lowered their movie selection. They need to improve the streaming service selection or they will begin to rapidly grind down their business.
Agreed. I'm waiting to see what their streaming service will look like before I make any decisions on my account. I also just got AppleTV, and to be honest, I'm kind of impressed with it so I may just stick with that. They have new releases ready to stream on day 1, where as with Netflix I have to wait a couple of months for the DVD because they're only streaming movies a year old.

“Weapons down or I will not be responsible for what comes next.” - Captain America
[SS]Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #14
[SS]Shooter
CO of Recruit Instruction

I realize the principal of the thing but damn it's only $6/month more.

That's like one cup of Starbucks.

Personally, I have DISH Network so I don't use Netflix.

Keep your ears buttered up while I set fire to the rain!

Last edited by [SS]Shooter : 07-18-2011 at 02:40 PM.
[SS]Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #15
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

the $6 doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that they're saying to now do one, the other or both. But going streaming only is kind of not an option if you want to watch the latest films. And if you don't want to wait the 3 days for it to be delivered, the DVD/BluRay option only is kind of shitty as well. Getting the option for having both is like a 60% price increase. So I can understand some people being pretty irked over it.

“Weapons down or I will not be responsible for what comes next.” - Captain America
[SS]Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote