Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > Movie/TV Reviews
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-27-2010   #1
[SS]Switters
sweets to the sweet

Looking for something to watch?

all righty, so as some of you may have noticed, i am a huge fan of horror movies. good, bad, whatever, i love em and will watch just about anything once. i wanted to start up a list of older, not in theatre movies for people to check out if they were bored or looking for something to watch. i'm also always on the lookout for something new to check out. so if you've seen something noteworthy, either good or bad, hit this up and tell the world.

zombie flicks, and i mean the undead like day of the dead, etc, and not infected movies, ie 28 days later.

-shaun of the dead. simon pegg is so awesome and this is one of the best zombie flicks ever imo for humor and gore. good stuff

-army of darkness. bruce, the chin, campbell. he's my hero lol, love this flick, and btw, evil dead the musical is freaking awesome. i saw it last halloween for my b-day and it was hysterical.

-dead snow. nazi zombies. 'nuff said

-dance of the dead. a quirky "zomedy" about some misfits who try to save the senior prom from being ruined by the undead. it's all right, if you're bored and have nothing better to do.

supernatural horror-

-hellraiser's 1 and 2. my favorite horror flicks of all time. weird, perverse, philosophical horror. clive barker is the man imo and the first 2 movies in the hellraiser series are kick ass. the rest of the hellraiser movies not so much imo.

-the exorcist. william peter blatty's movie about possession is so freaky, as a kid this movie scared me more than any other movie i ever saw. i think the book is almost as scary and it's weird to say that about a book i think.

-the exorcism of emily rose. overall not as scary as the exorcist imo but there a couple of scenes that are down right freaky. demonic possession freaks me out.

one to look forward to is "the last exorcism". it's being produced by eli roth and the story is the exorcist in the movie, cotton something or another, fakes exorcisms to fleece people of their money. during his last exorcism he actually encounters the real deal. supposed to be in a mockumentary style. i'm intrigued.

creature flicks-

-alien. the 1st installment is not as good imo as the 2nd one but for tense, weird scary aliens you've never seen before it's worth a watch. plus it's in space which ups the tense factor

-pitch black. imo this one was the reimagined "alien" of the last few years. shares a lot in common with "alien"

-feast. this movie is bad, but in that really awesome good, funny sort of way imo. it's worth a check if you are bored.

anywho, there's a few to start this out, hopefully someone out there will find something to watch from this list, or even better, have something to add to it. thx all

[SS]Switters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010   #2
[SS]Showstoper
XO of Recruit Instruction

Up until Alien, nothing in that type of genre was ever filmed like that. That movie set the bar for all the other space movies that came out afterwards.

If you want campy, zombie movies, watch all of the Night of the Living Dead movies. Their famous lines are "Brains" and "Send more Cops", LOL. The ones they put on SyFy are weaksauce, but watchable.

I agree on Shaun of the Dead, if anything, one word, "CLASSIC". Never get tired of watching it.

I like all the George Romero's zombie flicks, that's where it all started.

Don't forget, The Eyes Have Hills movies. I drive quick through the desert at night, after those movies came out, lol.

I WILL LEAD BY EXAMPLE, NEVER REQUIRING A RECRUIT TO ATTEMPT ANY TASK I WOULD NOT DO MYSELF.
[SS]Showstoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010   #3
[SS]Switters
sweets to the sweet

oh yeah, romero started it all! i think the zombie flick is a staple of the horror genre, and though i do really enjoy "infected" movies as well, ie 28 days/weeks later, and planet terror, there's just something about the dead coming back to life that sets those movies apart. i do however think that the new-ish "zomedy" sub genre of zombie movie is something to behold. oh, and i can't believe that i didn't put this next one on the list.

-zombieland. this flick is freaking awesome lol. the rules are awesome and i am intrigued by the word that there will be a sequel.

Old 06-27-2010   #4
AEJustin1

ooooo zombieland sequel??? that would be frickin badass!

If you don't stand behind our troops. Please feel free to stand in front of them...
PROUD to be an AMERICAN!
AEJustin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010   #5
[SS]Switters
sweets to the sweet

it surely would be justin, i agree. i don't think i've read anything though that mentions whether or not any of the original characters would be back or not. gods that movie was funny. the whole bill murray scene is just great. actually, scratch that last bit, here's a link to a quick note on a possible sequel.

http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/movie/zombieland-2

woody and that other guy may actually be in talks to reprise their roles, ah yeah

i keep reading about a reimagining of hellraiser and that intrigues me. i'd like to see it done with a bigger budget, i think the original was done for like 900,000 or something crazy. i even come across pics online of the new pinhead design, or rather one of the effects guy's proposed new look. i don't know, don't care, i would just love to see a new hellraiser done right!

From Drop Box

Last edited by [SS]Switters : 06-27-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-28-2010   #6
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Switters View Post

-zombieland. this flick is freaking awesome lol. the rules are awesome and i am intrigued by the word that there will be a sequel.

http://zombieland2.movie-trailer.com/

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"
[SS]Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010   #7
[SS]Switters
sweets to the sweet

so i was telling the wifey about this thread in the forums and she said i better remember to put this next movie into the list of recommended flicks. so without further ado, the next installment of "looking for something to watch?"

-angelheart. this movie is pretty badass. deniro and rourke oh yeah. a pretty good, grungy movie about the big, bad devil. gotta love it. my wife's favorite horror flick no doubt. i gotta cool ass wife

-the serpent and the rainbow. a pretty good 80s flick, what with the story about the hoodoo doctor making real zombie peoples and stuff. and bill pullman gets f'ed up in it, when he's in the chair and that guy does that thing to bill's thing, oh epic.

-in the mouth of madness. the best "lovecraft" movie ever made. if you've ever read lovecraft you may recognize the influence in this flick as sam neil slowly goes mad and people in new england turn into scaly fish monsters and stuff

-candyman. another clive barker story/movie. "sweets to the sweet". this flick was filmed in cabrini green i think. i remember clive talking about it in an interview, kind of funny to think that a flamer like clive was chilling in one of the worst hoods in america. awesome movie though

anyone got any others to add? do it to it. i think i might start listing some of my favorite comedies next. peace

Old 06-29-2010   #8
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

I seriously can't believe you guys left out.......

'Run! Bitch Run!'

"After drug dealers rape and leave her for dead in the woods, beautiful door-to-door religious-tract peddler Catherine trades in her prayers for a pump-action 12-gauge and sets out for payback against the men who attacked her. But once she gets a taste of holy vengeance, Catherine's thirst for blood becomes insatiable."

Or the all time classic....

'Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter'

"The far-out story has Jesus finally returning to Earth -- but he must contend with a world under assault by a band of vampires."

“Weapons down or I will not be responsible for what comes next.” - Captain America
[SS]Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010   #9
KAIZER SOSA

Not sure if you seen them though but Chenzo recommended to me awhile ago on Twitter the REC movies (original Spanish films)... good stuff.

KAIZER SOSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #10
[SS]Switters
sweets to the sweet

haha run bitch run. revenge fantasy stuff, nice choice. and for a way out there choice like j.c. vampire hunter, i liked repo: the genetic opera. it's been hollywood-ized into repomen, but if you can stand musicals, and gore then repo is pretty cool.

rec. became the movie quarantine for us in the us. rec. was a little better though i thought quarantine was an all right infected movie. there's supposed to be a sequel coming out soon. good choice kaizer!

Old 07-08-2010   #11
[SS]Shooter
CO of Recruit Instruction

Nuff said!

Keep your ears buttered up while I set fire to the rain!
[SS]Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010   #12
[SS]Showstoper

I'll never watch that movie Shooter. Disgusting...

I WILL LEAD BY EXAMPLE, NEVER REQUIRING A RECRUIT TO ATTEMPT ANY TASK I WOULD NOT DO MYSELF.
Old 07-08-2010   #13
[SSr]NurseBetty

I started watching that movie Shooter and Showstoper and had to turn it off when I saw them all connected. Not for the faint of heart!
Old 08-25-2010   #14
[SS]Switters
sweets to the sweet

ahh, so i'm going to update this post with a couple of new choices and i am laughing at the posts about the human centipede. a movie about perpetual ass to mouth. that's, well i was going to say good stuff but i guess that depends on what you are into.

anyways, here's a couple of more suggestions for anyone bored out of their skulls.

black dynamite-yeah i know this one got it's own thread and now i can see why. this movie is awesome. one of the best "exploitation" flicks/parodies i've seen. the action is kick ass and it's got some really funny moments. i totally recommend it to anyone who has a sense of humor and loves those gritty 70s looking flicks.

undercover brother-watching black dynamite reminded me of this gem with eddie griffin in it as undercover brother. this one is not quite as old school as black dynamite but damn, it is a funny movie. it's good for a laugh, and white-shedevil is freaking hot!

kick ass-i finally got around to watching this movie and i laughed so hard. hit girl is so bad ass, and if i weren't already married i'd "solemnly vow to save myself for her" as one of the characters in the movie says. it's a good flick and i imagine there will be a sequel.

so there's a couple of flicks worth checking out, or watching again. i think i hear a phone ringing..."who the hell is calling me and interrupting my kung fu?"

Old 08-25-2010   #15
[SS]Showstoper

George Romero has a new one, looks good.

Here's a link. Warning it may give away more than you need to know, but then again, it's a zombie movie...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_of_the_Dead