Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > Questions
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-16-2009   #1
Bassani

Vista 32 bit vs 64 bit

WTF is the difference?

Please dont say it sucks and this and that, Im just looking to know what the differences between the 2 are, and if one is better, why?
Old 06-16-2009   #2
[SSr]LouSaynis

I have the 64-bit and it works just fine. For a more detailed response you might want to visit http://www.1stdigitalinfantry.com/forums/
Old 06-16-2009   #3
[SS]Rator
Sea Snipers® Owner/Leader

From Microsoft...

"What is the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows?

The terms 32-bit and 64-bit refer to the way a computer's processor (also called a CPU), handles information. The 64-bit version of Windows handles large amounts of random access memory (RAM) more effectively than a 32-bit system. For more details, go to A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows Vista and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista online."

"Note To use a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you must have a computer that has a 64-bit processor. Also, you must have 64-bit device drivers for the devices that are in the computer."

So you need the 32 i'd imagine. I dont know much about PC's but a 10 sec google search gave me that so there ya go. Get plain Vista.

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
they will be things you will miss!
[SS]Rator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #4
Bassani

handling random access memory? I dont understand. I know I get a message pop up all the time now about virtual memory running low, but no idea what it really means, anyways, looks like the 64 is the better of the 2 then, cool.
Old 06-16-2009   #5
[SS]Rator

"Note To use a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you must have a computer that has a 64-bit processor. Also, you must have 64-bit device drivers for the devices that are in the computer."

It may be better but you may not have a 64bit processor or have drivers available for your stuff. 32 is the standard i think. And Virtual memory is basically the computer taking some of your HD space and converting that memory into temporary RAM. So that message probably just means that you are running out of free space, HD space.

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
Old 06-16-2009   #6
Bassani

So say a system was all for the 64 bit stuff, would say, idk, 4-6 gb of ram be enough you think? I read somewhere before that a 32 bit reads only up to like 3 gb. I know I would never need anything like 24gb of ram, but Im just kinda wondering about all this stuff, lol
Old 06-16-2009   #7
[SSr]LouSaynis

4-6GB of RAM is ideal, but you could run 32bit Vista with 2GB. I have 6GB on my laptop running 64-bit Vista and I can run a ridiculous amount of programs at once. Though if I saw a machine running 24GB of RAM, I would probably drop dead on the spot. I think the maximum for most machines is 8GB
Old 06-16-2009   #8
Bassani

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERDRIVE4825 View Post
4-6GB of RAM is ideal, but you could run 32bit Vista with 2GB. I have 6GB on my laptop running 64-bit Vista and I can run a ridiculous amount of programs at once. Though if I saw a machine running 24GB of RAM, I would probably drop dead on the spot. I think the maximum for most machines is 8GB
Well yea, but that would be on a custom system, I think Alienware's high end one comes with 12, actually, I just built a dell messing around with 24gb

Its a Studio XPS 435 if you want to mess with it, gets pretty expensive though, lol
Old 06-16-2009   #9
[SS]Rator

unless you're editing broadcast video or playing high-end games you wont ever need more than a gig or 2 of ram.

Old 06-17-2009   #10
Bassani

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Rator View Post
unless you're editing broadcast video or playing high-end games you wont ever need more than a gig or 2 of ram.
does that include streaming a game?
Old 06-17-2009   #11
[SS]Wally
‘The Umbrella Man’

Are you talking about streaming with your video adapter while playing XBOX?

"Guns don't kill people, lasers do." - Wally
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders". - Ted Nugent
Born On Date: 1-30-2007
[SS]Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #12
[SS]Rator

streaming uses more bandwidth than processing speed.

Old 06-17-2009   #13
Bassani

well, I have 1 gb now and Im getting that stupid msg I talked about earlier, so I know that I need more than 1024...
Old 06-17-2009   #14
[SS]Rator

No, go back and read up, that message just means that you are low on STORAGE space not RAM. Throw out a bunch of big stuff and you'll see you dont get that message any more.

Old 06-17-2009   #15
DatGuy

or you can increase the size of your virtual memory, but if your drive is almost full, just delete a bunch of shizz

DatGuy "doubts my connections".
DatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote