Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > Game Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-25-2007   #16
Tagger

Installed only. Did it last night. The tutorial ran so freaking slow that I shut it down and turned my attention to SCA online instead.

I'm currently running a 2ghz AMD Athlon with 2 gig of ram and a BFG FX GeForce 5500 video card.

Thinking it's a video card issue, I placed an order this morning for a BFG GeForce 7800 video card and threw in an order for a 250 gig hard drive (my 40 gig C drive is nearly full). The new hard drive will be in addition to the C drive and just for media storage.

This will be the last upgrade to this computer before scrapping it to build a new one in maybe another year or so.

I've got a friend in the office who builds computers as a hobby. Based on my description of the problem, he thought I might ought to upgrade the video card. After setting all the video options to the lowest settings, the game still crawled.

Hopefully I'll be playing it some time next week.

Do you think the new card can handle BF2142? I'm interested in getting into the game with the crowd here.
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #17
Chenzo
Commies Beware

the 7800 will totally run 2142.

ANd I agree with yer friend. Yer CPU and Ram seem up to par. heh...

I told you this game demands a bit of juice.

Chenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #18
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

I just picked this up last night - I've only installed it and run through a couple of the tutorials. Seems a lot like Command and Conquer but with greater graphics. And I liked that series.

“Weapons down or I will not be responsible for what comes next.” - Captain America
[SS]Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #19
Tagger

Haha, juice you say? That reminds me of a converssation between Al Swearenjen and Mr. Wu in Deadwood......

AS: "Does the main have juice, Mr. Wu?"
Wu: "Jews? NO SANFWANCESCO COCKASUCKA!!!"
AS: "No, forget the Jews! I wanna know if he's got juice!"
Wu: "NO SANFWANCESCO COCKASUCKA!!! Wu and Sweegen - NO SANFRANCESCO COCKASUCKA!!!" laffyguy

Maybe I'll have enough juice in a few more days.
Old 01-25-2007   #20
Chenzo
Commies Beware

Quote:
Originally posted by [SS]Grifter
I just picked this up last night - I've only installed it and run through a couple of the tutorials. Seems a lot like Command and Conquer but with greater graphics. And I liked that series.
It's one of the best RTSs I've played to date...

it's on the Dawn of War engine and that game kicked ass...

Old 01-26-2007   #21
Tagger

I ended up doing what I was trying to avoid. I just realized this morning that the video card I've ordered requires a lot more power than the 250watt power supply I'm running. Hell, after the new power supply, I'll almost have a new computer. I'll never be able to afford a PS3, lol.
Old 01-26-2007   #22
Chenzo
Commies Beware

Quote:
Originally posted by Tagger
I ended up doing what I was trying to avoid. I just realized this morning that the video card I've ordered requires a lot more power than the 250watt power supply I'm running. Hell, after the new power supply, I'll almost have a new computer. I'll never be able to afford a PS3, lol.
250 watt!? jezus... you need to have DOUBLE that... atleast.

Old 01-26-2007   #23
Tagger

LOL! Yea, I'm getting a 650w to replace it, relying on the advice of my buddy in the office. Computer builder I am not, obviously. I just want it to work right when I start mashing buttons.
Old 01-30-2007   #24
Tagger

I'll be performing the upgrade tonight - parts arrived yesterday. Friend of mine says CoH is whipping his ass on easy. Can't wait to get into it.
Old 01-30-2007   #25
Chenzo
Commies Beware

Quote:
I'll be performing the upgrade tonight - parts arrived yesterday. Friend of mine says CoH is whipping his ass on easy. Can't wait to get into it.
Yeah... I've been getting about a half a mission done a night...

Just finished the one with the facking PANTHERS... damned Nazi's and their indestructible tanks.

Old 01-30-2007   #26
[SSr]LouSaynis

lol

at least there is not a Titan in place of each panzer, consider yourself damn lucky there
Old 01-31-2007   #27
Tagger

Played some campaign mode last night - lots of fun at a reasonable pace for learning.

Tried the skirmish mode and got pwned in less than 30 minutes. The AI enjoys a big advantage over a human user in that it does not lose track of multiple operations while focusing attention on one or two hotspots on the battlefield. Must learn to multitask better.

Graphics are spectacular. I've still got to tweak my card some. But, last night was such a major improvement over what I was running before.

The 600 watt power supply from Tigerdirect was a dud. Had to run to Office Depot for a 500watt. Once we got the video card in, I wasn't about to turn back, lol. BFG GeForce 7800 OC ftw!

If anyone is playing or wants to try CoH online, I'd like to give it a run after some more single player time with the game. Looks like CoH could last a while.
Old 01-31-2007   #28
Chenzo
Commies Beware

Quote:
Played some campaign mode last night - lots of fun at a reasonable pace for learning.

Tried the skirmish mode and got pwned in less than 30 minutes. The AI enjoys a big advantage over a human user in that it does not lose track of multiple operations while focusing attention on one or two hotspots on the battlefield. Must learn to multitask better.

Graphics are spectacular. I've still got to tweak my card some. But, last night was such a major improvement over what I was running before.

The 600 watt power supply from Tigerdirect was a dud. Had to run to Office Depot for a 500watt. Once we got the video card in, I wasn't about to turn back, lol. BFG GeForce 7800 OC ftw!

If anyone is playing or wants to try CoH online, I'd like to give it a run after some more single player time with the game. Looks like CoH could last a while.
lol, yeah... I still haven't tried any of the skirmishes yet. generally I try to finish the single player campaigns in RTSs first, kinda like a training program.

So where are you at?

And you do know you can hit the pause button on your keyboard, but still move the camera around and issue orders, yeah?

in some of the later missions, this becomes crucial cause you'll have 2 or even 3 seperate task forces doing stuff at the same time.

Old 02-08-2007   #29
Tagger

The Pause button ftw!! Making frequent use of this one - especially defending Carentan during the German counterattack. Even on easy difficulty, this mission kept me busy. Lots of fun!

I moved on to the Red Ball Express mission - another good one. The Germans relentlessly attacked my right flank the whole time. So, it was a good lesson in over-extending.

Last night, I entered Cherbourg for the first time. The Sherman and the Sherman Croc made the initial push into town a breeze. However, there's difficulty ahead in the way of a German armored counterattack.

I was playing skirmishes for the last several nights just checking out all the single player maps. But, two nights ago I decided to get back to the missions since they're so much fun.

I don't think I could keep up with the rushers online. I prefer a more traditional battle method. It's more fun taking the map yards at a time rather than rushing the opponents HQ in the first 10 mins. Where's the fun in that?

Bottom line: enjoying the game immensely. Strongly recommend this as a purchase for anyone who has enjoyed an RTS in the past.

Have you noticed the engineers bitching about filling sandbags yet? "If I see one more bag of fucking dirt!" Sounds like Brooklyn from either Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers, lol!

Galatians 2:20
Old 02-08-2007   #30
Chenzo
Commies Beware

LOL

yeah... the game's great...

My favorite is "Jesuz Christ! Tie your FUCKING laces, Johnson!"

I haven't played in a while... been 2142 and Northern Striking too much lately.