Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > General Conversation
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-12-2011   #1
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

Aaaaaand here we go again.... (Sony hackers)

An Important Message From Sony’s Chief Information Security Officer: "OH GOD, NO, IT’S HAPPENING AGAIN"

Poor old Sony was hammered by both media and its own users earlier this year, after news broke of a large-scale hacking of its PlayStation Network. And now it's happened again.

The latest case involves Sony detecting a mass attempt to sign in to PSN accounts with a job-lot of user names and passwords, which the company says it believes may have been obtained through a third-party rather than extracted from PSN itself. Fortunately, the "overwhelming majority" of user name and password combinations failed.

However, Sony believes approximately 93,000 accounts (33k in Europe) have been compromised, with outsiders able to correctly sign in to PlayStation Network using the stolen data. Those accounts have now been "temporarily locked" pending a new password reset and account validation scheme.

Sony says credit card data is safe, and it'll refund anyone should they find evidence of any suspicious activity.

LINKY

Somebody’s Trying to Break Into Your PSN Account…Again

Sony has just announced that it has detected someone trying to match "a massive set of sign-in IDs and passwords against our network database".

The company suspects that somebody has got hold of a massive list of usernames and passwords from "another source and not from our Networks", and have been caught checking to see if you use the same username and password on the PlayStation Network.
According to Sony's new Chief Information Officer, Philip Reitinger, "less than one tenth of one percent (0.1%) of our PSN, SEN and SOE audience may have been affected". In raw number terms that means 93,000 accounts names and passwords were "matched" by someone other than the account holder, and as a result Sony has "temporarily locked these accounts".

Those 93,000 accounts will now be forced to reset their passwords. In the case of Sony Online Entertainment customers, users will be emailed instructions on how to re-open their accounts.

Regardless of whether you're one of the 93,000 accounts affected or not, now's a good time to remind you to never, ever use the same username and/or password across a whole range of sites!

LINKY

“Weapons down or I will not be responsible for what comes next.” - Captain America
[SS]Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011   #2
[SS]Wally
‘The Umbrella Man’

You beat me to it Grif. Wow I cannot believe it.

"Guns don't kill people, lasers do." - Wally
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders". - Ted Nugent
Born On Date: 1-30-2007
[SS]Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011   #3
[SS]Midnight
Lima Oscar Lima!

I can. Though it would seem....that this is not Sony's fault this time.

"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood! NOBODY!" -- White Goodman
[SS]Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote