Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > General Conversation
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-08-2008   #1
[SS]TuefelHunden
Semper Fratres, Semper Fi

Gameplay Mechanics - Shooter Genre

Alright, time to get serious here. What is your favorite shooter and why do you specifically like it. More specifically, what features do you particularily like about it over other games in this genre? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

[SS]TuefelHunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #2
Sabotage

Does Battlefield 2 count?

"I am an indestructible master of war" - Disturbed

“Hitler built a fortress around Europe, but he forgot to put a roof on it.”- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Sabotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #3
Bassani

Socom will always have a place in my heart, more so on S3 & Ca just due to the additions of vehicles, I wasnt a fan of 16 v 16 as Id rather 12 v 12 but thats where it all started for me. Socom was awesome.
Old 04-08-2008   #4
DatGuy

SOCOM 1/2 gameplay for me...I hated the gameplay in 3 and CA...on foot intimate combat is where its at.

Im also not a fan of the respawn....not at all

DatGuy "doubts my connections".
DatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #5
[SS]TeeToe
Human Tripod

For me it is all about the game play. I like being able to approach the map/level in any way I see fit. I really dislike having forced actions/cut scenes etc in my games. COD4 is a big example of this type of game play. I felt like I was participating in a movie, not playing a game.
In Socom I could approach the map in multiple ways with my team. I could be slow and sneaky and take my time. I like the open outdoor maps with multiple approaches to each area. I liked that I had to hide a body in S2 to prevent a patrol from getting alerted to my team. I like that if I took a tango out with a silenced weapon and no other enemy saw it happen that no alarms would be raised. I liked that if I hid in a grassy area I could sneak up on-

Too busy to finish this message will edit when the shop slows down.

[SS]TeeToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #6
LuFeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]TuefelHunden View Post
Alright, time to get serious here. What is your favorite shooter and why do you specifically like it. More specifically, what features do you particularily like about it over other games in this genre? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Whats up guys! Some of you i know from Socom 2 so to you all hello.

My favorite is still and will always be Socom 2 until something comes out that beats it in overall presentation and easyness to navigate and set things up.

The things i like the best about S2....

easy set up for rooms with the different lobbys.

LOVED the 3rd person view and how seamless it felt to do anything.(no game to me has captured the grenade throwing like socom)

LOVED the closeness the 8v8 provided. i know some people liked the bigger Socoms but to me they lost the close knit feeling Socom 1 and 2 had.instead of feeling like you were part of a small unit the rest of the socom series after 2 felt like i was part of some huge army and i felt like i was lost in the shuffle (all opinions ofcourse)

Now with the new generation of shooters i would have to say its a toss up between COD4 and R6V2 and heres why....

COD4 likes:

i LOVE the fast paces action that it provides. makes me almost feel like im playing socom 2 at times just in first person.

The graphics are gorgeous and really emerses me into the game and different levels.

it DOES take skill to play and to the peopel who cry and say it doesnt id say check your stats because if it didnt take skill EVERYONE would be a king at this game. it just takes faster paced skills. you really have to scan everywhere and be on your toes for a confrontation at anytime (I LOVE FAST PACED GAMES, KEEPS MY OLD ASS ON TOP OF MY GAME LOL)

I also love the different weapons. although i pretty much just use the G3, AK47 and MP44 i have a blast with them. Im a rusher by heart (from socom and on) because i like to be IN the action...not watch it from afar so those weapons fit my style perfectly.

R6V2 likes:

I like that its more of a tactical shooter. by that i mean that you cant run and gun as much (you still can but have to be more cautious which is a nice change of pace)

I like that i can make my own character and use different camo schemes and armor set ups for looks.

I like the cover system up against objects, adds a whole new level of depth to the FPS genre and mixes in really well with the gameplay.

to me its hard to pick "THE BEST" shooter out there because i like different things in each game. i dont want to own 20 of the same type of game because that bores me. i like owning different types of games from within the same genre. when i feel liek playing fast paces games i put in COD4....when i want to be a lil more sneaky and tactical i put in r6v2.

To me and i feel the whole FPS genre this is a great situation to be in. we get the best of both worlds without being burnt out on the same ole same ole.
LuFeng is offline   Reply With Quote