Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > Game Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-08-2010   #1
[SS]Switters
sweets to the sweet

Medal of Honor gets banned from bases

i ran across this on msnbc and had a little chuckle.

http://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk/ar...-mode/19626157

[SS]Switters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #2
KAIZER SOSA

We've been fighting virtual wars as and against Middle Eastern terrorists in various games across all platforms for how long now?

All of a sudden this happens...

KAIZER SOSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #3
[SS]Sabotage
Eyes In The Skies

Well... there hasn't been a mode called "Taliban Mode" yet though. I mean if you were playing a game where a cell phone was a detonator in an extremely well portrayed Baghdad streets area, wouldn't you think it could make some soldiers go a little nuts... I mean it's not like it was banned anywhere but bases.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
[SS]Sabotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #4
[SS]Wally
‘The Umbrella Man’

I think it's garbage, I am sure our soldiers should know the difference, and if they don't want to play it no one is forcing anyone to buy this.

Absolute garbage. That's what we need, a little more banning of things we should be able to decide on our own please.

But no one has a problem with terrorist targets at their local gun range.

Stupid.

"Guns don't kill people, lasers do." - Wally
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders". - Ted Nugent
Born On Date: 1-30-2007
[SS]Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #5
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

Some of those guys have had friends that have been killed during this war - I don't think it's a bad thing to not sell it on military bases. It's not that someone on a military base can't own the game, the base exchange (PX) just can't sell it. I can understand based on this persons reaction to the 'Taliban Mode'...

"One reviewer of the game expressed discomfort in assuming the role of a Taliban fighter. "Watching virtual Coalition troops gunned down by insurgents in the ruins of Kabul, I felt more than a little weird, especially since a friend lost his brother in Afghanistan only a few weeks ago," Dan Whitehead wrote at Eurogamer.net. "This is a real war that is happening right now, real blood is being shed."

I get it and understand why. Not selling it on bases is ok and I'm fine with that, those that still want to purchase the game and play it, will.

But the 'Taliban Mode' does bring up a good question - is it appropriate? I mean, could it have been called something else? With the war still going on - is having something like that in a game too soon to have? Inappropriate? Perfectly fine? I'd like to hear opinions on that from those that both have and have not served....

“Weapons down or I will not be responsible for what comes next.” - Captain America
[SS]Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #6
Tagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Wally View Post
I think it's garbage, I am sure our soldiers should know the difference, and if they don't want to play it no one is forcing anyone to buy this.

Absolute garbage. That's what we need, a little more banning of things we should be able to decide on our own please.

But no one has a problem with terrorist targets at their local gun range.

Stupid.
Wha? I always knew there was something familiar about those targets. Dammit man!
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #7
[SS]Sabotage
Eyes In The Skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Grifter View Post
Some of those guys have had friends that have been killed during this war - I don't think it's a bad thing to not sell it on military bases. It's not that someone on a military base can't own the game, the base exchange (PX) just can't sell it. I can understand based on this persons reaction to the 'Taliban Mode'...

"One reviewer of the game expressed discomfort in assuming the role of a Taliban fighter. "Watching virtual Coalition troops gunned down by insurgents in the ruins of Kabul, I felt more than a little weird, especially since a friend lost his brother in Afghanistan only a few weeks ago," Dan Whitehead wrote at Eurogamer.net. "This is a real war that is happening right now, real blood is being shed."

I get it and understand why. Not selling it on bases is ok and I'm fine with that, those that still want to purchase the game and play it, will.

But the 'Taliban Mode' does bring up a good question - is it appropriate? I mean, could it have been called something else? With the war still going on - is having something like that in a game too soon to have? Inappropriate? Perfectly fine? I'd like to hear opinions on that from those that both have and have not served....
...this.

Old 09-09-2010   #8
[SS]Showstoper
XO of Recruit Instruction

My point of view: I understand the Armed Forces reason on why not to sell the game on military bases. There is something called Post Traumatic Stress Disorder that most Soldiers who have fought in combat, whether it's a small case or major case of it, have. Heck, I have some form of it still to this day. When I drive down a street and I see boxes, truck tires, dead animals, etc, the first thing that comes to my mind is IED. I find myself driving slow by it, checking it out. My wife has asked me a few times what am I doing. That's when I snap back to reality and know I'm back in the USA. Scary stuff.

I can see Soldiers who have come back from deployment with way more emotional scars than I have playing this game. It would bring up old memories that they are trying to forget. It's not something that's easy to handle when a Soldier needs the counseling and support from his unit on a daily basis because of memories re-ocurring.

Like Grifter said, if you really want it, order it online or just plain get it off post. I myself had mixed feelings about the demo, so we'll see what comes out of it.

I WILL LEAD BY EXAMPLE, NEVER REQUIRING A RECRUIT TO ATTEMPT ANY TASK I WOULD NOT DO MYSELF.
[SS]Showstoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #9
[SS]Sabotage
Eyes In The Skies

Thank you Show, for everything man.

Old 09-09-2010   #10
KAIZER SOSA

Okay, I just thought the term "Taliban Mode" was a reference with the media due to they're lack of understanding the science of factions in multi-player but...

If there is an actual "Taliban Mode", then yeah its definitely a bit derogative on EA/DICE's part, surely that title will be insulting to many even out side bases.

Overall, the attention it drew was at first a bit much but the eventual outcome of its banning on military bases is fair in my opinion.

KAIZER SOSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #11
[SS]Switters
sweets to the sweet

i think that ea/dice have managed to generate some publicity no doubt. good or bad we are talking about it. i kinda wonder if this is a way for them to get the release date moved back or something insidious like that. from the reviews on the beta i wouldn't be surprised if the publishers are kinda worried about releasing it, and especially with the other big name titles that are coming out here shortly. eh, who knows.

[SS]Switters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010   #12
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

I just read this thread as I tried to get it today!! Yes, this game is banned on ALL bases. Hell, now I'm REALLY going to buy it...

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"
[SS]Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010   #13
[SS]Rator
Sea Snipers® Owner/Leader

I heard it was terribly mediocre.

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
they will be things you will miss!
[SS]Rator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010   #14
Bassani

I hear the single player is decent, but short & the mp is meh. Dunno though, I was turned off by the beta...
Old 10-15-2010   #15
[SS]Sabotage
Eyes In The Skies

Yeah I also hear the SP was decent, which means I'll probably rent it.... that's about it.