View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008   #2
Drunk_Couzens

(Continued..)

The game play , IMO, was excellent, the movement was very fluid, graphics were very clean, and it seemed like everything was interactive and shootable. I found out the hard way by covering behind a small barrel and accidentally shooting it, instant explosion. The hit detection is SPOT ON, where my cursor was is exactly where the blood shoots out of. However hitting them is another story. The aim is very difficult to use. While standing and scoping, the cursor is all over, Kneeling is a little less bouncy. The only real way to keep it very steady is prone. Within 20-40 m zooming is not necessary, but even outside 50m, and low scope or medium is deff a plus. One thing I was impressed with, is after scoring a headshot on an enemy , I left 2 bullet holes and a good amount of blood on the wall. 7 min later (respawn game) that same blood and bullet holes were still there, this served no purpose, but was cool to see the blood was still around.

The weapons all seemed to have their pros and cons, which was a very good balance on Slant 6’s behalf, they really hit the nail on the head with the heart of the game (movement, hit detection, and weapon realism). I was unable to use a sniper rifles, and scoping was pretty hard because of the small lags in the game, but with an m16 it took very accurate and times shots to get a head shot, or multiple body shots.
There were numerous small items that impressed me while playing as well. For one, their attentions to laggers. Pretty much, you lag, you freeze. At any point if someone’s connection drops beyond socoms threshold, that player, and only that player will be affected by it and stand in place. Shots look like they still count while this person is frozen. Also, no reloading while jumping (or sprinting also I believe), no more jumping around until your gun reloads, your butt better find cover and fight smart. You’re either very lucky or dead. There is no real noobish way to jump your way out of a fight. Also, the detenation of the bridges is very cool, You actually see you player interact with the detonator, by opening the box, turning and pulling up the handle, and then slamming it down, with an instantaneous sub woofer loving explosion not too far away. After which, the smoke/debris fill the air, flowing in the wind between the terr spawn and the garage bomb plant, really cool.
All in all, I LOVED THE GAME, and its getting better by the day. The only real thing that is holding it back now is the connection issue with gameplay and rooms, and not being able to use all of the community features and options because of it. All the recipes for Game of the year are there, there just needs to be some overhauling of the game before release, and you will have the best socom released by far.

My Ratings On IGN Scale

9.4 Presentation
The game is very dark a serious and it is the way socom titles are intended to be. The game was built for multiplayer only, and they gave almost every multiplayer option in the book for you to customize everything just the way you want it.

9.0 Graphics
The explosions are quick and exciting and bullet hits are as realistic as they come. The animations and character models are good. But what you may forget is, you created that person, it is not a model to choose from out of 4 options. Map detail is very nice and above average for a PS3 game.

9.8 Sound
Sounds is always coming out of your speakers. When gunfire is not present by players, it is coming fro the ambient background of the map (but sounding on the map), When fire fight are happening the guns sound exactly as they would from the distance you would be from them in real life.

9.5 Gameplay
Everything is interactive, and the ability to tell your opponent your about to kill them when you right behind them (thorugh proximity chat) is very fun, and different from the socom series.

9.8 Lasting Appeal
Online = Never ending enemies and a different challenge each game.

9.7 Excellent OVERALL
(out of 10 )
The game leaves much to be desired, and after some server and coding maintenance to fix connection issues, this game will leave all others in the closet collecting dust. Go out and buy your PS3’s guys, because you do not want to miss out on this come October.

.Game Over.  Add Me: PSN Handle = Drunk_Couzens
Drunk_Couzens is offline   Reply With Quote