Thread: Pc Suggestions
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2003   #6
[SS]CJ

pc building

After checking out the available desktops, I discovered that none of them had the kind of motherboard I was looking for. It would have been nice to avoid the trials and tribulations of building my own pc, but in the end, thats what I am doing.

I ended up getting a Gigabyte K8N Pro AGP8X/DDR400 Motherboard. It has RAID 0, 1, and 0+1 capabilities. While I still have to do some reading on RAID, the option is still there. It has built in 6 channel audio and will support up to 3GB of RAM. The CPU that I got is a AMD Athlon64 3200+. I could only afford 2 512 sticks of RAM. Regardless of RAID or not, I decided on 2 80GB hard drives with 8MB cache and they run at 7200rpm. I didn't go all out on the video card. I ended up with an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro with 128 DDR Memory. The case I got for it is pretty basic, its a mid-size tower with a 350W power supply and its brushed aluminum. I think it has a light that goes inside of it as well. I opted not to get a dvd r/rw + - or whatever. Too much money. Didn't think I'd get much use out of it either. I did get a cd r/rw/dvd rom though and a 3.5" floppy drive. That's about it. Now I just have to put it all together without destroying anything, then get it set up correctly.

[SS]CJ is offline   Reply With Quote