View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010   #1
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

'The Pacific' (HBO 10 part WWII series)

"Hell was an ocean away"

From the makers of 'Band of Brothers'

The Pacific is a 2010 ten-part television World War II miniseries, produced by HBO, Seven Network Australia and DreamWorks, which will premiere March 14, 2010.

It is similar to Band of Brothers. Whereas Band of Brothers focused on the United States Army's involvement in the European Theater of Operations, the new series will be about United States Marine Corps's actions in the Pacific Theater of Operations.

The Pacific is being spearheaded by Bruce McKenna (co-executive producer), who was one of the main writers on Band of Brothers. Hugh Ambrose, the son of Band of Brothers author Stephen Ambrose, will serve as a project consultant.

The Pacific is based primarily on two memoirs of U.S. Marines: With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge and Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie. The series will tell the stories of the two authors and Marine John Basilone, as the war against the Empire of Japan rages. Additional material for The Pacific is provided from the books Red Blood, Black Sand (Chuck Tatum), and China Marine (Eugene B. Sledge).

Given the literary sources mentioned above, the series will feature well-known battles involving the 1st Marine Division, such as Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Peleliu, and Okinawa, as well as Basilone's involvement in the Battle of Iwo Jima.

Hugh Ambrose has authored the official tie-in book to the series, which follows the stories of the three men featured in the series as well as stories of their fellow Marines. It is set to publish in the US and UK in March 2010.

source linky

Looks good - I'm gonna try to watch/record the episodes starting this weekend. Anyone see this and are going to be watching it as well?

“Weapons down or I will not be responsible for what comes next.” - Captain America
[SS]Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote